Wow Bacon Microwave Cooker Makes Leaner Tasting Bacon!
1) The Wow Bacon Microwave Cooker.
2) Uses of Bacon Grease.
3) Which Bacon Brands Are Gluten Free?
4) Which Bacon Brands Has The Least Fat?
5) How Is Bacon Made?
6) The Types of Bacon.
The Wow Bacon Microwave Cooker will take cooking your bacon to the next level. It keeps the grease from splattering all over and corals it all in one container. It also makes for great tasting bacon. Just about everybody likes the taste of bacon and with this creative gadget, only make what you need.
We all know that bacon has a high amount of sodium and fat in it. Now, you can cook bacon with the fat dripping off the bacon as it cooks. It means you will be consuming less fat. There are brands of bacon on the market that less fat and sodium which is better for your health.
By cooking the bacon in the microwave, it gets the job done faster than cooking it on the stove.
In this article we will share information about bacon and how to use the Wow Bacon Microwave Cooker.
Video On How The Wow Bacon Cooker Works
This video will help you learn how to use this cooker when cooking bacon using the Wow Bacon Microwave Cooker. Take a look!
How Does the Wow Cooker Work?
It basically comes in three parts: rack, lid, and cup.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Remove lid from cooker cup.
- Remove bacon rack from cup.
- Load raw bacon with the fat side in on the rack. Choose from 1 to 6 slices.
- Attach the lid on bacon rack and lock it. Note: The lid must be attached to the rack before putting into the cup. Otherwise, damage to the cup will result.
- Place lid and bacon rack into the cup and lock the clips into place.
- Place cup in microwave and select the time to cook from 2 to 6 minutes based on the number of slices being cooked. You may have to adjust the time for the type of crispness you like.
- When done, remove container from microwave.
- Unlock the clips from the cup.
- Remove the lid and bacon rack from the cup. Note: It will be steamy hot and some steam will escape.
- Remove lid from rack.
- Remove bacon from rack.
If you need to make more bacon, just pour the grease into a container and load more bacon on the rack. Follow the steps above for the second batch.
6 slices: 800W 5 minutes, 1000W 4 minutes 1300W 3 minutes
3 slices: Cut time in half
Chewy bacon use less time and crisp bacon use more time.
The parts can be cleaned in a dishwasher. Allow the cup to cool before washing. Also, empty the grease after each batch of bacon.
Flavor Tip: If you want to flavor the bacon while cooking, add a teaspoon of any liquid – maple syrup, hot sauce, Jerk sauce, or PeriPeri to the cup prior to cooking.
Is Bacon Grease Worth Keeping?
Yes it is. You can keep it fresh for three months in the refrigerator or indefinitely in the freezer. Place the leftover bacon grease in a jar with a lid and place it in the fridge or freezer. Below are some excellent uses of bacon grease.
Uses of Bacon Grease
- Fry Eggs
- Roast Vegetables
- Fry Burgers
- Make Popcorn
- Fry Grilled Cheese
- Make Biscuits
- Fry Hash Browns
- Spread On Pizza Crust
- Use It As A Gravy Base
- Spread It On BLT Toast
- Season Cast Iron Skillet
- Mashed Potatoes
- Fried Rice
- Pie Crust
- Soup Base
You may add additional uses for bacon grease. The above are our suggestions.
Which Bacon Brands Are Gluten Free?
For those of you who have gluten allergies, the following brands listed below make gluten free bacon.
- Applegate Farms
- Boar’s Head
- Dakin Farm
- Dietz & Watson
- Jones Dairy Farm
- Wellshire Farms
How Is Bacon Made?
This is a question that many of you might be asking. So, here is the answer. Bacon is made from pork usually from the pork belly. The raw bacon is now rubbed with salt and other seasons are added. Now the bacon is set aside for curing. This is known as dry curing. The bacon is rinsed with water, dried and goes into the smoker.
Some bacon goes through a process known as wet curing. This soaking method takes the bacon and placed with the brine to soak. It takes longer and is known as pumping.
After the curing process is completed by whichever method is used, the bacon is sliced, packed and shipped to your local store.
Which Brand Has The Least Fat?
There are some brands that do have less fat than others. Below are some of the brands you should look for if you want lower fat and calories in your bacon. In the store, look for uncured bacon. This type of bacon does not have any added sodium nitrates to it.
Another name to look for on the package is center-cut bacon. Center-cut bacon is taken from the pork belly that’s close to the bone. This section is less fatty and a good choice for leaner bacon.
Here are some brands and the nutrition values are for one slice.
- Applewood Smoked Uncured Bacon (35 calories, 2 g fat, 280 mg sodium)
- Applegate Naturals Hickory Smoked Uncured Sunday Bacon (70 calories, 5 g fat, 310 mg sodium)
- Smithfield All Natural Uncured Hickory Smoked Bacon (80 calories, 5 g fat, 100 mg sodium)
- Hempler’s Original Center Cut Bacon (45 calories, 2.5 g fat, 195 mg sodium)
- 365 Uncured Center Cut Smokehouse Bacon-Reduced Sodium (35 calories, 2.5 g fat, 85 mg sodium)
Types of Bacon
When you go shopping in the store for bacon, there are different types. We will explain each type below.
- Slab Bacon – Slab bacon is a section of unsliced section of cured pork belly. It is sold with the rind still on. This can be removed before cooking. You get to cut the bacon into the desired thickness.
- Thick-Cut Bacon – Normal bacon is about 1/16 of an inch thick. Thick-cut bacon is twice as thick. You won’t see bacon labeled as thin cut, but will see thick-cut bacon.
- Center-Cut Bacon – If bacon is labeled as center-cut it means it was taken from the middle of the pork belly which is close to the bone. This meat is less fatty, and is an excellent option for leaner bacon.
- Hardwood Smoked Bacon – This means the bacon Is generally smoked over smoldering hardwood chips. The label may mention the type of wood. You may also see a label that says “naturally smoked”. It means the same as hardwood smoked. So, you’re getting the benefit of smoked bacon.
- Double Smoked Bacon – This means it was smoked twice that provides a rich and delicious smoky flavor. The brand that has double smoked bacon is S. Clyde Weaver.
- Uncured Bacon – Is still cured bacon. All bacon is cured. This means synthetically-sourced nitrites, natural nitrites are used and converted into nitrites. These nitrites come from celery, beets, or other produce that are naturally high in nitrites. By the way, there is no difference between artificial and natural nitrites.
- Pancetta – This is an Italian pork product as it is made from the pork belly. The difference between pancetta and bacon is pancetta is cured and not smoked.
- Precooked Bacon – This bacon is precooked at the production plant and is probably more expensive. To be on the shelf it must have a water activity of 0.85 or lower. It’s convenient but, precooked bacon does not taste like fresh bacon. You also don’t get any left-over bacon grease.
Two types we did not mention are Canadian bacon and non-pork bacon. Canadian bacon is a different product than our bacon. Non-pork bacon is turkey bacon or from other animal. A vast majority of non-pork bacon is turkey bacon.
There you have it, the types of bacon you will find in the grocery store. Select the type that you and your family likes best. You get to decide on the sodium and fat content of the bacon.
- Does not splatter grease when cooking
- Cooks bacon within 2-6 minutes based on slices being cooked
- Catches bacon grease in the cup
- Dishwasher safe
- Cooks scrambled, hard or soft boiled, and poached eggs
- Cooks all types of bacon
- Made in the USA
- Limited to cooking six slices at a time
- Needs 7 ¼ inch clearance standing upright in the microwave
- Some bacon slices may be too long and need to be cut to fit in bacon rack
The Wow bacon microwave cooker can be a nice gadget to have in your kitchen when you need bacon in a hurry. The cup container prevents splattering and keeps the grease inside the cup during cooking.
Presented information on how bacon is made, types of bacon, and which brands are gluten free.
When using this device, the cooking times will vary depending upon the type of microwave you own. It is suggested that you adjust the cooking times to make the bacon the way you like it. Start with the cooking times in the manual and then make adjustments from there.
We think that you will like this gadget when making bacon for any family recipe. This gadget can also make scrambled, poached, and hard or soft boiled eggs too. Just follow the instructions in the manual.
Now, you can enjoy bacon anytime the way you like it!
Shop Wow Bacon Cooker
You can shop for the Wow bacon cooker by clicking on the image below. You will be taken to Amazon to place the order.
Go back to the Pros Cons Shopping home page.