Touchless Trash Cans – Taking Garbage To The Next Level!
1) Type of Batteries Trash Cans Use.
2) Are Motion Sensor Trash Cans Worth It?
3) How Do These Trash Cans Work?
4) Benefits of Motion Sensor Trash Cans.
5) Advantages & Disadvantages of Battery or AC Power Trash Cans.
The touchless trash can is becoming more acceptable in homes because they open by placing your hand above the sensor. The lid opens to receive the garbage. The odors stay at bay because the trash can lid is closed and keeps the odors inside.
The models that are offered to consumers today work by using batteries or AC power. The individual must determine which type is best for their use. Battery operated trash cans can be placed anywhere and don’t need an AC outlet. While, the AC powered models do. This is the first major decision consumers must decide on.
All models have an infrared sensor that detects heat, usually by the waving of the hand over the sensor to open the lid. Garbage is placed inside and after a few seconds, the lid will close and will keep the odors inside.
Some models have fingerprint resistant outer coating which will keep the unit looking like new.
Another decision consumers must make is the capacity of the trash can. A majority of options are 13 gallons, some models have a larger capacity while others have less.
For health reasons, some models come with a deodorizer. This can be in the form of a filter or pouch. This helps keeps the unit sanitized and remove some of the odors.
This is the new modern way to collect the garbage and you may just like it.
Are Motion Sensor Trash Cans Worth it?
Motion sensor trash cans may seem luxurious, but they are actually quite practical. Some models are costly, but are worth it. They open and close the lid automatically, keeping germs and related stuff off your hands. Those with mobility problems may find the automatic feature more convenient than foot-operated models.
What Type of Batteries Do Sensor Trash Cans Use?
Depending upon the model, some use D batteries, or AA batteries. The D battery models may take up to four batteries. The AA models can take anywhere from 4 to 8 batteries. When considering a sensor trash can, look at the specs to determine which type of battery it will require for operation. Then you will know which type of battery you will need to have on hand. In some cases, the batteries may not be included with the purchase of the trash can.
The D type batteries will provide longer use verses the AA betteries. Why? Because, you will be changing the AA batteries more often then the D batteries.
It is also recommended that you use alkaline batteries. Don’t use old batteries or rechargeable ones.
Benefits of Sensor Trash Cans
Below are some of the benefits of these trash cans.
- Uses advanced technologies like an infrared sensor to operate the trash can lid.
- The hand is the only part that comes into contact of the infrared sensor.
- The lid will open and close automatically.
- Some units come with a deodorizer filter or pouch to help keep odors at bay.
- Some models use batteries while others use an AC adapter.
- Trash cans can be placed just about anywhere it’s needed.
Note: Some units come with a carbon deodorizer filter or pouch need to be replaced about every 3 months. Refer to the manual for specific information on the replacement.
How Does The Sensor Trash Can Work?
Since it’s touchless, the lid is opened with the hand above the sensor between six to ten inches. The lid will open and will remain open until you are done emptying garbage and the lid will close anywhere after 3 to 6 seconds has lapsed.
For those models that operate on batteries, the sensor will eventually will not operate. The batteries will have to be changed. Some models come with a low battery warning indicator while others may not. There is no issue here for models that operate on an AC power cord.
How To Reset The Trash Can?
In some cases, the trash can lid may not work properly and needs to be reset. Below are the steps to take to reset your trash can unit.
- Avoid direct sunlight from shining on the infrared sensor.
- Depending upon your model, turn off the power switch, remove the batteries, or AC power adapter, then rub and wipe clean the sensor area with a soft damp cloth. Then, dry it with another soft cloth. Re-insert batteries, AC power adapter, and turn on power switch to see if it works as normal. If it does, you have solved your problem. If not, go to step 3.
- If step 2 above did not work, remove the batteries, AC power adapter, and turn off the power switch from the unit and let the trash can sit for 2 hours. This allows the unit to reset. After 2 hours, insert new batteries or insert AC power supply, turn on the power switch and try again to see if it works properly.
- If it still does not work, you may have a faulty sensor and will need to contact customer support.
Note: Do not use the power adapter and battery at the same time to operate the trash can. It can only be powered by one source at a time.
Advantages of Battery Operated Verses AC Power Trash Cans
Battery Powered Advantages:
- No cords to get in the way or plug into an outlet.
- Does not need to be near an AC outlet.
- Can be placed anywhere in the home or apartment.
- Trash and odor control.
- Uses no electricity to operate.
- Batteries must be changed anywhere from 3 to 6 months.
- Need a supply of batteries on hand.
AC Powered Advantages:
- No batteries are required for operation.
- No batteries to change or have on hand.
- Trash and odor control.
- Uses electricity.
- It’s location must be near an AC outlet.
- Uses a cord.
Now, select the model type that is best for you based on their advantages and disadvantages.
Fixing A Trash Can That Keeps Opening and Closing
The touchless trash cans have a infrared sensor that works when it detects heat. This is usually giving off by humans or animals in the form of heat. If the sensor detects any form of heat, it could open the lid by itself.
If you have no animals in the house, then it’s possible that a heat source could be nearby the trash can sensor. This source of heat could be the cause for the lid to open and close by itself. Check to see if the trash can is near any of the following:
- Pellet Stove
- Kitchen Burners
- Portable Heater
- Any Other Source of Heat Radiating Device
To test this, move the trash can into an area of the house that does not have any type of heat source. Leave it sit there for 30 minutes. Come back to see if it is operating normally. If yes, you know the sensor is working properly. You can try other areas of the house to determine where the trash can will work properly. You may have to choose one of these areas to place the trash can if the opening and closing continues in the area where the issue started.
If it does not work, you may have a faulty sensor. Try cleaning the sensor area as described above. If it still is opening and closing, you probably have a faulty sensor and have to contact customer support.
- Eliminates odors from smelling up a room
- Uses an infrared sensor to open the lid
- Lid opens and closed automatically
- Can be used in any room
- Many models are made in China
- Models that use batteries must be replaced periodically
- Carbon filter or pouch must be replaced
- Infrared sensor must avoid direct sunlight
We have provided lots of information regarding touchless trash cans. The types of models are two either battery or AC powered. All work using an infrared sensor that senses heat usually from your hand to open the lid. After a short period of time, a few seconds, the lid will close and keep all the odors inside.
Shared how to resest the trash can if the infrared sensor is not working properly.
The bottom line here is we think that you will like trying out these touchless trash cans. They are modern looking to take your garbage collecting to the next level.
Shop Touchless Battery Powered Trash Cans
Below are some of the highest rated touchless trash cans. Just click or select an image of interest and you will be taken to Amazon to place the order. While there, you can read the customer reviews and answered questions.
Shop AC Powered Trash Cans
Shop the AC powered trash cans below. Select a item of interest and you will be taken to Amazon to plade the order.
Go back to the Pros Cons Shopping home page.