Taking Meal Preparation To The Next Level
You just might be asking yourself what is a convection oven air fryer? A convection air fryer uses air to cook foods and has a fan that circulates the air from the bottom and top of the oven. The Breville BOV900BSS Convection Air Fryer does cook foods evenly which is the hallmark of these ovens. Now you will be able to cook foods up to 30% faster over the conventional oven and save money as well. Plus most foods cook with little or no added oil: the healthy way to go. This is even true when air frying French fries! No oil is needed. They come out nice and crispy!
Table of Topics
To assist you in learning more we have provided some topic links below. Just click on a topic of interest to go to that section or, you can scroll down to read them all.
Features of This Oven
Convection Oven Benefits
First Time Use Instructions – Preparing Oven
Care, Cleaning & Storage Tips
Product Rating & Customer Reviews
Questions People Are Asking
Video Showing All Functions.
Shop Breville Oven & Accessories
A great feature of this oven is the rotate remind. If you are using multiple racks at the same time, the rotate remind feature will remind you to switch the position of the racks. This feature works with the following functions: BAKE, ROAST, WARM, PROOF, PIZZA, AIR FRY, REHEAT, COOKIES & DEHYDRATE.
Another good feature of this oven is when the door is opened the cooking timer will pause and the light will be turned on. When the door is closed the cooking timer will resume the countdown and the light will stay on for 30 seconds. If the door is opened longer than 10 minutes during cooking, the heaters will turn off.
Some other benefits of convection ovens verses regular ovens are:
Convection Ovens verses Conventional Ovens Pros
- Convection ovens cook foods evenly and will not have hot spots like a regular oven does.
- Convection ovens cook foods faster than regular ovens thus saving you money on your energy bills.
- Convection allows you to cook more dishes at a time verses regular ovens. When you place more dishes to cook in the regular oven, the temperature will drop inside. This is not the case with convection ovens.
- You can place dishes anywhere in a convection oven. On a regular oven you must be careful that you don’t place the food on a rack that’s too close to the top or bottom to prevent burning.
Convection Oven Cons
- You will have to adjust your recipes. Most recipes assume you are using a regular oven. Since convection ovens cook foods faster, adjustments must be made to the recipe. This may take some time.
- Dough won’t rise. Using a regular oven for cakes other dough related foods, the dough will rise. This is not the case when using a convection oven. To alleviate this problem, look for a convection oven where you can turn the fan on or off. Otherwise, don’t use this appliance that requires dough to rise during cooking.
- Cooking too many dishes can hinder performance. Be sure when you are placing dishes in the convection oven that you do not block the fan as it can cause the food to take longer to cook.
Technology Benefits of This Oven
First, it uses the benefits of Element iQ that senses and PID temperature control. The Element iQ has 6 independent quartz heating elements that move the power where it’s needed most.
Second, it has super convection technology which 2-speed convection fan (Super & Regular) offers greater cooking control. The super convection provides greater volume of air that ensures fast and even heat distribution. This is perfect for the air frying, dehydration and roasting functions.
Last, the Smart Oven Air with Element IQ is for the cook who desires a countertop oven that can roast for large gatherings, air fry crispy French fries & family favorites and dehydrate a wide range of healthy foods. The super convection setting reduces cooking time by up to 30% with great crispness. Capacity: 9-Slice Toaster, 13″ Pizza, 9″x 13″ baking pan, 12-cup muffin tray, 14-lb turkey. This is pretty good for a small appliance.
The Smart Oven Air with Element IQ is for the cook who desires a countertop oven that can roast for large gatherings, air fry crispy French fries & family favorites and dehydrate a wide range of healthy foods. By cooking foods up to 30% faster and with great crispness, you will save money on your energy bill over conventional ovens. This oven has a capacity for a 9-Slice Toaster, 13″ Pizza, 9″x 13″ baking pan, 12-cup muffin tray and a 14-lb turkey.
It’s made of brushed stainless steel which will bring a nice look to your kitchen. You do need some room for it to operate, 4 inches around the sides and at least 6 inches for the top.
Model Number: BOV900BSSUSC
Outside Dimensions: 21.4 x 17.2 x 12.8 Inches
Internal Dimensions: 15.5” Wide x 12” Deep x 7” Tall
Weight: 38.9 lbs.
Construction Materials: Brushed Stainless Steel
Power: 1800 Watts
Voltage: 110 – 120 Volts
Settings: 13 Preset Functions (Toast, Bagel, Broil, Bake, Roast, Warm, Pizza, Proof, Air Fry, Reheat, Cookies, Slow Cook & Dehydrate)
PID Temperature Control: Yes
Element iQ: Yes
Display Type: LCD
Convection Type: Super Convection Powered
Cooking Temperature Ranges: 80 Degrees to 480 Degrees F
Capacity: 9-Slice Toaster, 13″ Pizza, 9″x 13″ baking pan, 12-cup muffin tray and a 14-lb turkey.
Made: In China
Warranty Information: https://www.breville.com/us/en/support/Warranty.html
Customer Support: 1-866-273-8455 (8 – 4:30 Pacific Time)
In The Box: 1 Oven, 1 13” Round Non-Stick Pizza Pan, 2 Oven Racks, 9 x 13” Broil & Roasting Pan, Mesh Basket, and Instruction Manual
Before using your oven for the first time, you need to prepare it for use by following the instructions below.
- Remove and safely discard any packing material, promotional labels and tape from the oven.
- Remove the crumb tray, wire racks, broiling rack, roasting pan, air fry/dehydrate basket and pizza pan from the polyfoam packaging. Wash them with a soft sponge in warm, soapy water then rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Wipe the interior of the oven with a soft, damp sponge. Dry thoroughly.
- Place the oven on a flat, dry surface. Ensure there is a minimum distance of 4” of space on both sides of the appliance and 6” above. This is to allow sufficient venting of the air during the cooking cycle. Insert the crumb tray into the oven.
- Insert the crumb tray into the oven.
- Unwind the power cord completely and insert the power plug into a grounded power outlet.
- The oven alert will sound and the LCD screen will illuminate. The function options will appear with the indicator on the TOAST
- Turn the SELECT/CONFIRM dial to the right until the indicator reaches the PIZZA
- Press the START/STOP The button backlight will illuminate red, the LCD screen will illuminate orange and the oven alert will sound.
- The LCD screen will indicate a blinking PREHEATING. Once the oven has completed the preheating cycle, an alert will sound.
- The timer will be displayed and automatically begin to count down.
- At the end of the cooking cycle, the oven alert will sound, the START/STOP button backlight will go out and the LCD screen will illuminate white. Note: The unit will get warm to hot during the cooking cycle.
- The oven is now ready for use.
Below are some cleaning and storage tips for the care of the oven.
Cleaning the Outer Body and Door
Wipe the outer body with a soft, damp sponge. A non-abrasive liquid cleanser or mild spray solution may be used to avoid build-up of stains. Apply the cleanser to the sponge, not the oven surface, before cleaning.
- To clean the glass door, use a glass cleaner or mild detergent and a soft, damp sponge or soft plastic scouring pad. Do not use an abrasive cleanser or metal scouring pad as these will scratch the oven surface.
- Wipe the LCD screen with a soft damp cloth. Apply cleanser to the cloth and not the LCD surface. Cleaning with dry cloth or abrasive cleaners may scratch the surface
- Let all surfaces dry thoroughly prior to inserting the power plug into a power outlet and turning the oven on.
Cleaning The Interior
- The walls on the inside of the oven feature a non-stick coating for easy cleaning. To clean any splattering that may occur while cooking, wipe the walls with a soft, damp sponge. A nonabrasive liquid cleanser or mild spray solution may be used to avoid build-up of stains.
- Apply the cleanser to the sponge, not the oven surface, before cleaning. Avoid touching the quartz heating elements.
Cleaning The Crumb Tray
- After each use, slide out the crumb tray and discard crumbs. Wipe the tray with a soft, damp sponge. A non-abrasive liquid cleanser may be used to avoid build-up of stains. Apply the cleanser to the sponge, not the tray, before cleaning. Dry thoroughly.
- To remove baked-on grease, soak the tray in warm soapy water then wash with a soft sponge or soft plastic scouring pad. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Always reinsert the crumb tray into the oven after cleaning and prior to inserting the power plug into a power outlet and turning the oven on.
- Ensure the oven is turned off by removing the power plug from the power outlet.
- Allow the oven and all accessories to cool completely before disassembling and cleaning.
- Ensure the oven and all accessories are clean and dry.
- Ensure the crumb tray is inserted into the oven; the broiling rack is inserted into the roasting pan and resting on the wire rack in the middle rack height position.
- Ensure the door is closed.
- Store the appliance in an upright position standing level on its support legs.
- Do not store anything on top. The only exception is the optional Breville Bamboo Cutting Board and Serving Tray.
This product is rated 4.4 stars out of 5 by over 943 customers, which is excellent. You can read all of the reviews about this product by clicking on the following link: Customer Reviews!
Below are some of the 877 questions people are asking about this product. You can read all of the questions about this product by clicking on the following link: Answered Questions!
Question: Can I dehydrate putting another dehydrate basket on the second rack – thus using 2 dehydrating racks at the same time? Thank you.
Answer: Yes you can. You can fit 4 dehydrate baskets in this oven at once. Extra baskets are available for sale.
Question: Can I keep my cutting board on top of the oven? Or does the top get too hot?
Answer: I have the Breville 800 cutting board. Yes, it has the feet, and that produces a gap between the oven and board for air circulation. I would only use the Breville board – I think that is a worthwhile purchase.
Question: The air frying feature: can you safely do chicken, egg rolls, donuts or things that may drip? A reviewer said you can’t air dry things that drip.
Answer: I’ve air fried chicken, pork chops and steak many times and I just put the broiler pan beneath it (about midway depending on how you flip the rack). If it’s a less drippy item like vegetable or raw potatoes with some oil on them, I’ll use a sheet of heavy aluminum foil (maybe turn up the edges a little). I’ve also used “copper crispers” with decent results but find the quality of those products dubious at best.
Question: What is the benefit of using the selected functions such as bake, cookies, pizza, instead of just using the bake function all the time?
Answer: Each setting uses the convection and elements differently. So the pizza setting, for example, doesn’t use convection and uses the top elements more than the bottom. The air fry setting defaults to the “super convection” to circulate air more intensely.
Question: I see that one shouldn’t use aluminum foil in the oven. But so many recipes call for it. Is this really a problem, and what else has worked instead?
Answer: I believe the concern Breville refers to with aluminum foil is that it can’t touch the elements. I have an earlier version of the oven and use tinfoil all the time to line pans and cover food. Just keep it from touching the elements.
As you can see, this oven is great for many dishes in your cookbook. Any recipe being used must be adjusted for the cooking time as foods cooked in this oven cook faster than the normal conventional oven. Once you have done that, you will be amazed how tasty and quickly you can get great tasting meals and desserts for the family. It has thirteen preset functions to make your job easier. Before purchase, be sure that you have sufficient space for the appliance. You need a minimum of 4” on the sides and 6” on the top. This is expensive and does come with a 1-year warranty if anything should go wrong. The Customer Support number for this oven is in the product specifications above.
Below are the pros and cons of this product.
- Precision cooking and Element iQ.
- Air Fry and dehydrate presets.
- Thirteen cooking functions.
- Super convection technology with 2 fan speeds.
- 1 cubic feet of space enough room to cook a 14 lb. turkey.
- The rotate remind feature.
- May Seem Pricey.
- Some owners reported having issues with the door.
Here Are the shopping links this oven and its accessories,
Did not find what you were looking for? No problem. Enter a search term in the Amazon Box below to search on Amazon for other products.
1 cubic feet of space which is enough room to cook up to a 14 pound turkey. This is great for all types of families. Its also has enough space to toast 9 slices of bread, bake a 13” pizza, fit a 9 x 13 tray, or a 12 cup muffin tray
You can dehydrate up to 4 racks of foods at one time. It comes with two. Extra racks are available below.
This model has thirteen preset functions and two speeds (super & regular) to assist with cooking control. These function are display with LCD lighting.
The functions it performs include: Toast, Bagel, Broil, Bake, Roast, Warm, Pizza, Proof, Air Fry, Reheat, Cookies, Slow Cook and Dehydrate.
Super convection gives a greater volume of air for faster even heat distribution. This makes it perfect for air frying, dehydration and roasting.
Element IQ with the special Breville sensing and PID temperature control, which uses 6 independent quartz heating elements, moves the power where it’s needed most, above and below the food for perfect results.
When using the Air Fry function, you should separate the foods so that they are loose on the rack and not on top of each other. This will allow the Air Fry function to properly cook foods and make them crunchy on the outside. This is especially true for cooking French fries.
Beware that after the food is done cooking, there will be a cooling down time just like a regular oven until the fan goes off.
This oven does get hot when using it for extended cooking times. When removing foods from the oven, you may have to wear cooking gloves to prevent your hands from getting burned.
You must leave room up to four inches from the wall on both sides and 6 inches from the top of the oven for operation. Be sure that you have sufficient space on the counter top to place this appliance.
The maximum temperature of this model is 480 degrees F. During the cooking process, you will notice that some steam will come out the sides of the door, this is normal and there is nothing wrong with the appliance.
Following microwave instructions when using this air fryer is not recommended.
When using rack positions 3 or 4, the oven has an auto-magnetic eject feature as it will automatically eject the rack halfway out of the oven door to easily remove food.
Video – All The Amazing Functions
Enjoy Making Something Delicious!
Go back to the Pros Cons Shopping home page.
Breville Convection Air Fryer$399.99
1 Cubic Feet of Space To Cook 14 lb. Turkey9.0/10
Uses Super Convection Technology with 2 Fan Speeds9.5/10
13 Preset Cooking Functions9.5/10
It Has The Rotate Remind Feature9.0/10
Precision cooking and Element iQ9.5/10
- 13 Preset cooking functions.
- Precision cooking and element iQ.
- Users Super Convection Technology.
- Has the rotate remind feature.
- Large space sufficient to cook 14 lb. turkey.
- Made in China.
- Some customers reports issues with the door.